Monday, July 28, 2008

Corn Fields, A White Dress, and the Hot Air Balloon

This past weekend, I went with Kyre to Erich Kant and Susie Hurst’s wedding in lovely York, Nebraska. Kyre was an usher and was gracious enough to invite me along for the festivities. The trip started out a little rocky, with Kyre getting annoyed with me for (surprise) saying something a little smarty-ass to him about roads or driving or something. But, after we got on the interstate and headed West, all was well. We had a “Wait for it…..” moment right before we saw the infamous York water tower, and when we finally saw it, the moment was surreal. Okay, that’s a little dramatic, but it was fun to see it. I can’t remember the last time I drove past it (even though I did dozens of times during the four years I spent at UNK). The corn fields which were literally 20 feet from the hotel added a nice touch.

The rehearsal was pretty typical, but I knew it was going to be a good weekend when the wedding party got a little rowdy and anxious to get to the rehearsal dinner. The actual dinner was at the Kant’s house, and was a lot of fun. Bowling was next on the agenda, and that couldn’t have been a better choice. It broke the ice and we all got to know each other a little better. We stayed up late and Saturday morning came too soon.

The wedding itself was beautiful. I was really impressed with all the detail that went into it. No detail was left untouched. It made me want to have another one of my friends get engaged so I could help plan the wedding. *Smile* Kyre said the food was the best wedding food he ever tasted, and I had to agree that it was great. I opted not to have cake (I usually try to save those calories for beer at a wedding), but they had several different kinds and all of the reviews for it were good. The speeches, one of my favorite parts of any reception, were very heartfelt. It was good to catch up with the Wollens, the Saathoffs and the Stuebbes. The party continued on into the late evening, and we overall had a great time!

Thanks to the Kants and the Hursts for a wonderful time. Congrats to Susie and Erich!

No comments: