Friday, March 6, 2009

An Update...

About a Ka-jillion “Butts,” “Darn its,” and “Stupid-heads” later, I think I’m doing pretty well on my Lenten Promise. It’s been harder than I thought, that’s for sure! I have been known to use cuss words in every day conversation, and for the most part, I’ve done pretty good at cutting out the unnecessary swear words. However, there are a few situations I get myself in where I don’t know how else to prove my point other than to curse. (I feel like I'm dealing with a little kid..."Use your words, Valerie. Use your words...")

I’m also having trouble deciding whether or not A$$ is a “bad” word. That one flows pretty freely from my mouth. When I try to justify the use of that word, I feel like I’m back in High School, telling my parents “Well, if it’s used in the Bible, it can’t be THAT bad, right?!” (Ah, good times when you’re “the rebel” growing up in a Catholic household!)

When I have a few drinks, it’s even harder to watch my mouth. So, I’ve been cutting back (at least a little bit) on the ice cold heavenly beverages so I can keep good on my promise. That is, until St. Patty’s Day rolls around and the cutting back does not apply. (Who cares if I’m German & Czech? I’m IRISH on that day! Woot Woot!)

So, the quest for less of a potty mouth continues. Thanks to the friends who call me out when I slip up, and thanks to the people who don’t make fun of me when I catch myself saying things like “Holy smokes, that guy was a total stupid-head! I can’t believe he just flippin’ said that ridiculously, lame-butt thing to me! Who the *pause* does he think he is?? Jeez Louise!!”

Until next time...

No comments: